In February of 1918 the 156th Battalion C.E.F. was disbanded due to the need of reinforcements along the Western Front. Members of the 156th were sent to several regiments. To tell the story of the soldiers of the 156th we will follow the events of three battalions from Eastern Ontario. The 2nd Battalion CEF (Eastern Ontario Regiment) perpetuated by the Governor General’s Footguards (Ottawa), 21st Battalion CEF perpetuated by the Prince of Whales on Regiment (Kingston) and the 28th Battalion CEF, perpetuated by the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (Ottawa).
Ligneruil- Preparatory to moving clothing was inspected, indents taken and articles issued. Weather was fair. Companies and Details paraded for a close inspection by company and detail commanders during the morning. Special attention was paid to equipment, iron rations, field dressings, Lewis guns, moved from billets to Petit Houvin Station.
Battalion in Gampoux Area being in support of the railway embankment with A. Company at Point du jour, relieved by English troops in the course of the night 1-2. Proceeded by light to Cliff Gaut, arriving about 3am, 2nd.