Battalion Headquarters was located at the Chateau in the Village, and it was while there that the official notification of the Armistice between the Allies and German was received from the 48th Canadian Infantry Brigade at 0840 hours on the 11th. This news was immediately transmitted by the Commanding Officer to all ranks who received it with enthusiasm. The Brass and Pipe Bands marched to the Battalion Headquarters, amidst great outbursts of joy on the part of the soldiers and civilians gathered around, and played the national aire of the allies. Then followed a march through the streets headed by our Brass Band, with a soldier carrying a large Belgian flag, in which nearly all the inhabitants of the village took part. On this date Captain D.J. More, M.C. returned to duty from hospital. The morning was devoted to P.T. and cleaning up.
Image: Vive le Canadien. Civilians of Namur cheer a Canadian officer on his arrival. November, 1918, Courtesy of Library and Archives Canada.