August 1st found the Battalion in Fluy with A and B Companies in Seux, a distance of 1.5 miles from Battalion Headquarters which were located in the old Chateux, Fluy. At 9.00a.m. the Battalion proceeded to the Tank Demonstration Area near Picquigny, a march of 6.5 miles from Fluy. Arriving there at noon and having lunch in the field. At 2.00pm a lecture was given by the officer commanding No. 14 Tank Battalion giving general description of co-operation between Infantry and Tanks in Action. Following which “D” Company, 18th Canadian Battalion and “B” Company 21st Canadian Battalion, co-operated with one Section of the Tank Corps, three with attacking waves and one in support, in carrying out practice attack which clearly shows how targets were given to the tanks by the infantry and by the use of smoke-bombs (No. 27 Grenades) and the use of green and white flag by the tank denoting that opposition has been cleared up and the advance would be resumed. Also the use of red and yellow flag denoting that tank is out of action, which is replaced by tank in support moving forward; also the use of the tri-coloured denoting the withdrawal of the tank after the completion of the operation.
Image: Tanks en route. August, 1918, Courtesy of Library and Archives Canada.