In February of 1918 the 156th Battalion C.E.F. was disbanded due to the need of reinforcements along the Western Front. Members of the 156th were sent to several regiments. To tell the story of the soldiers of the 156th we will follow the events of three battalions from Eastern Ontario. The 2nd Battalion CEF (Eastern Ontario Regiment) perpetuated by the Governor General’s Footguards (Ottawa), 21st Battalion CEF perpetuated by the Prince of Whales on Regiment (Kingston) and the 28th Battalion CEF, perpetuated by the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (Ottawa).
Dainville- The day was principally spent in resting and cleaning up. Baths were not available but clean underclothing was issued. Transport and rear details remained at Berneville. At 4:30pm the Battalion, less rear details, moved by motor busses and lorries from Dainville, de-bussing about one kilometre West of Avesnes-le-Comte, and proceeded to Lignereuil, arriving at 7:15pm. Transport and rear details left Berneville at 11:3-am and arrived at Lignereull at 5:30pm. The weather was fair.
Battalion in Gampoux Area being in support of the railway embankment with A. Company at Point du jour, relieved by English troops in the course of the night 1-2. Proceeded by light to Cliff Gaut, arriving about 3am, 2nd.
August 1st found the Battalion in Fluy with A and B Companies in Seux, a distance of 1.5 miles from Battalion Headquarters which were located in the old Chateux, Fluy. At 9.00a.m. the Battalion proceeded to the Tank Demonstration Area near Picquigny, a march of 6.5 miles from Fluy. Arriving there at noon and having lunch in the field. At 2.00pm a lecture was given by the officer commanding No. 14 Tank Battalion giving general description of co-operation between Infantry and Tanks in Action…