1950-1980

32nd Locating Battery

Transcribed from The Regimental Museum's Archives.

32nd LOCATING BATTERY (BROCKVILLE RIFLES) Royal Canadian Artillery

Perpetuates the 32nd Battery, Canadian Field Artillery, Canadian Expeditionary Force, l914-1919

Headquarters – Brockville, Ont.

Early History and Organization.

The Battery was organized on 14 Nov 1855 as the “Company of Volunteer Militia Foot Artillery of Kingston”. Its successive redesignations include: “The Volunteer Militia Field Battery of Kingston”, 29 May 1856; “Kingston Field Battery of Artillery”, prior to 12 Jan 1866; “5th Kingston Field Battery”, 28 Dec 1895; “32nd (Kingston) Battery”, 2 Feb 1920; “32nd (Kingston) Field Battery”, l Jul l925; “3rd/32nd (Reserve) Field Battery”, 24 Jun 1942; “32nd (Reserve) Anti-Aircraft Battery”, 15 May 1943; “32nd Anti-Tank Battery (Self-Propelled)”, l Apr 1946. In the reorganization of the Canadian Army – (Militia) in l954, the Battery was amalgamated with — the “60th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Brockville Rifles)” (organized on 5 Oct 1866), and adopted its present Organization and designation on 1 Sep 1954.

First World War, 1914-1919.

The 32nd Battery, C.F.A., Canadian Expeditionary Force, was mobilized at Kingston, Ont., on 5 Aug 1915 and arrived in the United Kingdom on 14. Feb 1916. The Battery served in France With the 9th Brigade, C.F.A., 3rd Canadian Division, from 15 Jul 1916 to 1 Jul 1917, and with the 8th Army Brigade C.F.A., from 5 Jul 1917 to the Armistice on 11 Nov 1918. In the next year the Battery returned to Canada, where it was disbanded on 7 Apr 1919. On l Oct 1927, authority was granted for the perpetuation of this Battery by the 32nd (Kingston) Field Battery of the Non-Permanent Active Militia.

Second World War, 1939-1945.

The Battery Was mobilized at Kingston on 24 May 1940 as the 32nd/34th Field Battery of the 14th Field Regiment. On 1 Jan 1941 the Battery was converted and redesignated 32nd (Kingston) Light Anti-Aircraft Battery and allotted to the 4th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment. It embarked for the United Kingdom on 23 Aug 1941. On 6 Jun 1944, the Battery landed in Normandy with the assault waves of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. Joined by the remainder of the 4th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment on 13 Jun 1944, it served in France until 30 Sep 1944, in Belgium until 11 Nov 1944, in Holland until 19 Feb 1945 and in Germany until 3 April 1945. It returned to the Netherlands until 26 Apr 1945 and to Germany again on 27 Apr 1945. VE Day found the battery at Aurich, Germany. The active service battery was disbanded in Holland on 13 Nov 1945.

Historical Section, (G.S.), Army Headquarters, Ottawa.


Advertisement

2 May 1955.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *